For a while now I’ve been using a great little plug-in for WordPress called ‘Post Ideas’ by Aaron Robbins. It was released in early 2008 but unfortunately hasn’t been updated since. Aaron’s website now seems to be a bog standard install of WordPress that hasn’t been updated so there was no way of getting in contact with him.
So I decided to update the plug-in myself. I’ve updated the admin area and added 2 dashboard widgets; A widget to view your latest ‘X’ number of post ideas and a widget to quickly add a post idea to the database. Both can be disabled from the “Screen options” menu above the dashboard.
The plug-in stores a title, description, tags, links and priority associated with the post. Easy to update, write and delete from the admin menu or dashboard widget.
Installation is the same as with any other WordPress plugin:
- Download the zip file and extract. Upload all files to the ‘/wp-content/plugins/’. Make sure you upload in the correct folder structure e.g. /wp-content/plugins/post-ideas-plus/.
- Activate the Post Ideas+ plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Under ‘Tools’ you should see an new option ‘Post Ideas+’. You can add / edit / delete ideas from this page.
- You should also see 2 new dashboard widgets ‘Add post idea’ & ‘Latest post idea’. These can be disabled via the screen options.
- If the script fails to install the required mysql table please use the included wp_piplus.sql file and import it to your wordpress database using phpMyAdmin (if your table prefix is not wp_ you will need to change it in the sql file)
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions please leave a comment or get in contact and I’ll see what I can do.